Baby 'screen time'- And how to avoid it

When little one was younger, I used to always have a children's channel on the TV nearly all day. At the age she was she had no idea what the TV was or what was on, but when it was a cosy day at home I liked that little bit of background noise. As little one has got older I've found different ways to keep us busy, rather than just moping around the house days (which, yes, sometimes is very nice) I try and make sure she goes outside at least once everyday. I have been very weary of how much TV little one 'watches' and this has mainly been since shes got to age of having favourite programs and I often find her eyes fixed to the box. This is when I decided I really needed to keep an eye on how much the TV was on and try to have allocate times when I would play it, and not just background noise. Obviously every parent is different and you can monitor 'screen time' to whatever you think is necessary to you child and there age.






Every morning the first thing I do is put the TV on while little one has her first bottle of the day, this usually co insides of when teletubbies is on and works out quite well. Cbeebies is our favourite channel to watch at the moment. I had got into the habbit of turning the TV on every time little one was playing on the floor with her toys, which really didn't need to happen so I try and keep it off as long as shes distracted with something else. When she is about to go down for a nap I sometimes switch it on for 10 minuets and she will sit on my lap and watch it, sometimes with a snack. I feel this can be quite a good way to unwind from playing before her nap and I can feel her relaxing as she does.



 Ways to avoid 'screen time'

After being aware of how much the TV was on, I started to realise that I would sometimes put her programs on when she started to winge or get irritated near bedtime. I found the most effective way of not having the TV as a resort was keeping busy, making sure I was not in the room of the TV.

I would start doing an activity before bath so the TV wouldn't be on, or little on could play in the garden with her toys.

Every parent is different on how much screen time they will allow their child to have. I wanted to make sure little one knew that watching TV wasn't a 'normal thing' that she could just do everyday or when she got wingey, and TV couldn't be on all the time. Since making this a mission of mine, I have found she is so much happier doing the little new activities, she loves playing in the garden! and shes even being sleeping better with the extra fresh air too!





We've been doing all sorts of new activities when exploring the garden, I've been taking a picnic blanket out with some of her toys and shes loved roaming round and exploring all the plants and flowers. I have loved it too, being out in our garden ins't stressful for me or it doesn't involve the buggy, but shes still getting a nice lot of fresh air and is something new for her development!



We have recently had some lovely weather in the UK and I bought little one her first proper paddling pool. She has been loving playing with the water in the garden and exploring in her swimming costume. She thought the fact her bath toys were in the garden was hilarious!

Then again, I totally understand that UK weather doesn't always mean the garden is an option, so we've been doing lots indoors too! I've been digging to the bottom of her toy box and bringing out new toys to play with (and making sure the TV is not on in this time) I have also been trying hard to involve her when I cook, obviously at her age she can't help but she loves watching me in her high chair as I prepare dinner or make lunch!

Even her Granda has been helping her discover new things, and introduced her to his piano! She absolutely loved it, (although i'm not sure the neighbours did) you could really tell she was getting excited about doing something new.




I really hoped this has helped some of you parents who were stuck for ideas like me, and feel like TV and toys on the floor is the only option when you can't get out the house. After we would get back from being out in the day, I would sometimes just find myself sitting waiting for my partner to get back, when now we loose track of time with having fun and doing new activities. I hope you all enjoy discovering new things as much as we have!

Laura and little one xxx

Comments