Postpartum hair loss- My story and how to work it

Being a qualified hairdresser and studying it for three years means I love hair. I have always felt very confident with my hair and how it looks, and I never really had any problems with it. I was so unaware how big of a part hormones played with your hair, so when I fell pregnant I was in for a bit of a shock. I've always been a 'shedder' as I like to call it, my hair is always everywhere, you always know where I am from the blond strings of hair I leave around. When I got pregnant, this stopped. I haven't done too much research into it, but I know it is common for women's hair to stop growing during pregnancy because of hormones. If I'm honest I wasn't really aware of this happening, until i had little one, once Id had her, my hair started growing again and doing its normal shedding, although this time it was x30.

'After you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage. Soon you'll have more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth'
a quote from www.babycenter.com 

 I had never seen my hair shed so much, I could just run my fingers through it and would fall out in handfulls, it felt so weak and brittle. Once I knew that this was normal and it was just hormones, I just got on with daily life with a newborn, just hoovering double the amount. Eventually my hormones got back on track but I was left with the regrowth of what had fallen out. Now im going to be honest, it really upset me, for someone who loved hair so much, I did not feel confident with it, and I basically looked like I had half a fringe cut at the front of my head. Looking back on this, I was silly and I really had nothing to be worried about, I am so grateful for the hair I have and know I am so lucky, which is why I wanted to share my story for other women going through the same situation as I was, as i love it and its such an amazing reminder of the wonderful journey my body has been through and how proud I am for that.





A few months down the line, and the regrowth is getting longer and longer and I'm starting to get that love for my hair back again, and I've been really enjoying looking after it. I thought I would share with you a few tips and tricks into how I've been managing it.








Here is an up to date picture of my regrowth at the front, Its getting so much longer and thicker and being new hair, its so healthy!













Its at such a nice stage, and is now not noticeable with my hair down, which is why I have enjoyed leaving it straight, Its so quick and simple. I just straighten it and brush and ready to go!




Having the shorter bits at the front means I am prone to flyways, so I have been loving using some products to tame them. 
The first one I have been using is dry shampoo, I have been loving the Batiste 'light and breezy fresh'. It gives my hair so much texture and makes it a lots easier to manage. It gives it lift from the root to hide the shorter hairs. To keep the flyways at bay, I have been loving the Tony&Guy 'casual flexible hold hairspray'. This hairspray isn't crispy or hard at all, its lovely and lightweight, which is all I need! I simply spray this towards the top of my head and then comb down the stay hairs, with my fingers or a small toothed comb.





The UK has recently had a heatwave, therefore having my hair down and straight all the time just wasn't an option. I have been experimenting in different ways to incorporate the regrowth into a style, My most loved and go to style has been having two dutch braids either side of my head leading round into a low/middle pony tail. I have been loving this! It hides all the regrowth and I again, I just tame the stay hairs with my hairspray. I think its such a classy, yet really easy and quick look, great for busy mummy's! ( If the dutch braid isn't your thing, french plaits, or normal plaits will look just as lovely, this style is so easily adaptable and really depends on whats best for you) 

I did this by starting with a middle parting, and then braiding one side of my hair, adding hair as I go. I then tie with an elastic and repeat on the other side. I then tie all my hair including the plaits up in a pony tail, remove the elastics from the plaits, and your done! I really love this look and how simple yet effective it is. 
I hope my story has helped some of you suffering with postpartum hair loss, I am so grateful for my journey and how much it has improved me and my self-esteem. Its another reminder of the amazing thing my body has done! I also understand that some people have lost a lot more hair than me, and I send you lots of strength and a reminder that your doing so well! 

Laura and little one xxx



Comments