Teething: How to stay sane

My little one has two bottom teeth and I have recently been noticing two more coming through at the top. Little one did not take well to the first two teeth coming through, at all. It was probably the most challenging few days of my parenting journey so far. I know for some parents teething might not be so bad as this, and for some it might be 10x worse so I wanted to share some of my tips and tricks that me and my partner found useful during her bad teething period.

I had done so much research on how to help your baby through teething and how to make the pain to go away, how to help them to eat, to sleep. When I realised the reason why everything was becoming difficult for me was because I wasn't looking after myself and we are better at looking after other people when we look after ourselves. So during this time I said no to laundry, I said no jobs and I said no to errands. In the few moments that little one was down for a nap or had gone for a walk with dad or gone down for the night, I would make sure I took this time to look after myself and thus, look after little one better. 

No pain no gain 
Every time little one goes through a bad teething period when new teeth are coming through, I learn for the next time. I like to keep reminding myself this, I find saving useful websites or writing down tips that helped me with her teething so I remember for the next time. 

Routine fly's out the window
If your routine isn't exactly working, don't worry- you can always go back to it next week! during when they're teething, not much of your routine is going to work or go to plan, try to stick to the same things as much as you can, but don't worry if little one isn't on the same page! 

Look after yourself
Make sure you are looking after yourself, as I said, just put things on hold for a few days and make sure you are getting some sleep, sleep when little one sleeps! Make sure you are doing things for yourself, I like to take a bath when I can once shes gone down for the night, this gives me a little 'recharge' before the next time she wakes. Slow down, remind yourself how amazing you are, and have a cuppa! 
Try not to turn on others
It is normal that during this time, you and your partner may be a little on edge. I can often find myself feeling stressed and apologising. Try and work with each other and help each other, take turn in night comforts and tear wiping, and you will feel stronger as a team.



Call for back up
Never feel like you have to do anything by yourself, if you struggling call and grandparent, a friend or sister. Any adult that can help or even that you can just talk to, can make you feel more sane and confident. If you need a half hour just to get dressed or make the bed, don't be afraid to ask a grandparent for a hand! 




Distractions 
It is said that babies teeth worse in the evening because they don't have the same distractions as in the day. I feel that if me and little one go on a little day out or get some fresh air, it helps with her teething and her sleeping. She forgets about the irritation and is a lot happier in herself! even just a walk round the block can help. Days out to the farm or the park is a favourite of ours! 















Our teething favourites 
If you feel its right, don't be afraid to use some products to help little on through this painful time. We like to use calpol (2 months +) which is known for its help with teething. We also like the Dentinox teething gel! There are lots of medicine based products on the market that work for different babies and teething pain, so have a research into it and see what one is best for you and baby! Or for a more natural relief we also have a few teething toys, the ones featured in the photo are Sophie the Giraffe which is a purpose made teething toy and Lamaze dragon fly which has various types of teething rings and features on it.


Hopefully this has helped some of you parents having a difficult time during your babies teething period, or just some of you who needed a bit of info on what you have to come. I wish you and your baby good health, and remember to look after yourself! 

Laura and little one xxx

Comments