Our new children's book additions!

So it was recently little ones 1st birthday and it is common knowledge that she loves a book, so to our delight books were a very popular 1st birthday present for her. So today I thought I would share with you some of our favourite new additons!






A squash and a squeeze
Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler

Now as a mother I absolutely love this book! Its one of those ones I tell people little one likes, just because I like to read it so much. From the creators of the Gruffalo It's got catchy rhyming and amazing pictures that little one loves to look at. As well as this it has an educational side to it, the book is about a woman who complains she has no room, so a man tells her to put all kinds of things in her house, live with them, and then take them all out again to make her house seem big. The moral of the story is not to complain and to be grateful for what you've got. Obviously my one year old is completely oblivious to this side of the story but I think its a great moral for her to grow up knowing. 

'Wise old man, wont you help me, please? my house is a squash and a squeeze'



Each peach pear plum
Janet and All Ahlberg

This book is a lovely quick read. I love the thick pages (No rips can be made by an angry 1 year old) Its also a rhyming story with some great fun behind it. The book involves the child to spot what it is talking about in the illustrations, which little one is not quite up to it yet but I have great fun. It includes some very well known characters and brings them all together to make a exciting new story. 

'In the book with your little eye. Take a look and play 'I spy'' 



Dear Zoo
Rod Campbell

We have always loved all of Rod Campbell's books so I was very excited when little one recieved this for her birthday. Its a beautiful lift the flap book which is wonderfully made with thick pages and bright illustrations. Little one loves watching me read this story and I really feel she gets excited by the mystery of whats behind the flaps. The story is all about someone who wants a pet and the zoo sends him all kinds of animals before the right one. It is also a great book to add the animal noises in and get little one familiar with them.

'Lift the flaps and see what the zoo has sent: the perfect pet- in the end!'



Hairy Mclary from Donaldson's dairy 
Lynley Dodd

This is another book which you could definitely question whether I am reading it for myself or little one. I'm just a sucker for a book that rhymes. This is a story which I remember from my childhood and it feels so nostalgic to read it back to little one. The story just flows from your tongue and its very satisfying to read. The illustrations are very original and nothing like I've ever seen in 
any book before, so its very exciting for little one to be seeing something new and different. And of course we all know the main reason why I love it so much, the whole books about dogs. 

(if you've read this, my favourite is Schnitzel von Krumm with a very low tum, because its a sausage dog- of course!)





Rabbits nap
Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler

As you can tell, we are great Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler fans. I think their writing and illustrations are amazing and they make really creative children's books. This story is about a rabbit who is trying to find a perfect place to sleep but things keep stopping her! Its another lovely thick lift the flap book with great rhyming. I like to read this to little one when its her nap time (really just with the hope she'll do the same) I do think its a good one to read for you parents who have little ones still having naps. I'm hoping to add to our 'tales from Acorn Wood' collection so let me know if you have any favourites!

'Deep in the heart of Acorn Wood, Rabbit can't get to sleep. Lift the flaps and find out who is keep Rabbit awake!'


I hope you've all enjoyed reading about our new favourite book additions, and hopefully has helped some of you who are looking to extend your little ones book shelf or want some gifts ideas for someone. You may just be like me and have a fetish for children's books and that's fine too!

Laura and little one xxx


Buy the books here:




Comments